Friday, September 14, 2012

My fighting Cancer with a teenie weenie stick


Four years ago, I sat on the edge of a narrow gurney type of bed.  It had a sheet draped over it's thin blue cusion and wheels so it would take me to the surgery room.  I was given some thin leg hose to put on, which is pretty tough to get over my feet and over both my legs.

The night before, I slept in the basement of my home due to having company and giving up my room to my Mom.  The basement, by the way was freezing--since it was only February in Missouri and it was a pretty cold winter.

Once I got the hose over my legs.  I lay down waiting for whatever was next.

A couple of months prior I had a diverticulitis episode and decided to switch doctors--to one that was nearer to my home.  I knew I would miss my old doctor cuz we got to become pretty well acquainted over the years.  I went to this new doctor--expecting him to give me the usual blood work and anti-biotic.  When he walked in and I explained what I was having, he ordered the blood test, and xray and then he would determine the type of antibiotic he would give me.  "Hmm", I thought, "this was gonna be harder than I thought".  He then had me schedule an ultra sound.  By the way--my blood work came back normal and the xrays showed nothing--they never do but the pain from diverticulitis is very extreme.  He did prescribe the anti-biotic.

The nurse came into my room--I have been here since 5:30 am--she took a look at the hose and said it looks good.  Then they were going to get the iv setup on my arm and give me some saline via iv.  That's what they do before they start the sedatives and the other stuff to put me to sleep.

The technician doing the ultra sound...pressed, pressed...then took a picture.  Pressed, Pressed..then another picture.  The cold gel they use was getting all over my stomach as she continued to press and take pictures.  After she was done, I wiped the stuff off of myself and went home.

I hate getting iv's...the stick hurts, regardless of what they tell you.  The drip is started and as I am lying there--there is some niceness from the nurses...and they begin to wheel me toward the surgery room.  I can feel a slight breeze as they push the gurney down the hall.  I am just a few minutes away from experiencing the surgery that has been on my mind for the last month and a half.

I was at home when my cell phone rang.  It was my primary doctors nurse.  She says the doctor wants me to come in tomorrow to see my doctor.  He wanted to deliver the result of the ultra sound himself.  When you get a call from your doctor...to come in...rather than the other way around...it is not good news.  And so I went the next day...

Part 2 tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment